A Wholesome Start: The Perfect Winter Porridge


They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this is something I wholeheartedly agree with. An essential part of the morning routine, if you can get this right, you're onto a sure fire way of getting your day off to the best possible start, despite what side of bed you get out of.


Porridge is one of those fail safe breakfasts I can always rely on when I want something warm, comforting and most importantly, filling on cold winter mornings. However, before discovering this insane tasting recipe whilst at a press launch at The Detox Kitchen, I was never too adventurous with my porridge. I know right? For someone who's instagram feed is made up of a good amount of food bloggers, for some reason it had just never occurred to me to put anything other than brown sugar on porridge. Upon discovering the highly coveted Acai Bowl and most recently the trend for Grain Bowls, I suddenly realised, it was time to break away from this bland, porridge life of the past and start indulging myself a little bit when it comes to breakfast time. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup of any oat of your choice, I use Wholemeal Rolled Oats
1/2 teaspoon of Chia Seed
1 - 1/1/2 cups of your choice of milk, I love this with coconut milk
Handful of granola, I love this Cinnamon & Pecan one from Spoon Cereals
Dessert Spoonful of Greek Yoghurt or a dairy free alternative, I love using the Fage Total 0% or CoYo Natural Yoghurt
Handful of your choice of berries, I always keep a frozen berry mix of blueberries, blackberries & raspberries in my freezer
Your choice of apple, I love Pink Lady
Your choice of Honey or Agave to sweeten
1 Cinnamon Stick
Star Anise
Orange Zest and Cinnamon to top

To Make
And there we go, an insanely easy way to add a bit more flavour to your morning porridge. It's amazing what a bit of stewed fruit and cinnamon can do!

Will you be trying this for your next breakfast?

Shop the Post





Labels: